At the Palazzo Ducale, Genova for the exhibition ‘Espressionismo Tedesco 1905 – 1913’, a survey of the ‘Die Brücke’ group. ‘Die Brücke’ was formed in 1905 in Dresden by four architecture students, Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, Fritz Bleyl, Karl Schmidt-Rottluff and Erich Heckel. They were later joined by Max Pechstein and Otto Mueller and, for a short time, Emil Nolde.
The exhibition was very good, though somewhat incomplete. There were hardly any examples of paintings from Moritzburg and none of Kirchner’s Berlin Street Scenes , but apart from that a fairly thorough survey.
Ernst Ludwig Kirchner ‘Artist -Marcella’ (1910)
Max Pechstein ‘The Black and Yellow Bathing Suit’ (1909)
Erich Heckel ‘Franzi Reclining’ (1910)
Max Pechstein ‘Two Dancers’ (1909)
Karl Schmidt-Rottluff ‘Thoughtful Woman’ (1912)