A delightful early spring day in the Dropt Valley in the Lot-et-Garonne region of France.
The village of Sauvetat-du-Dropt was originally a sauveté, a place of refuge created in the sixth century and protected by the church, where it was impossible for the authorities to pursue fugitives. The village has a remarkable Romanesque bridge with Gothic extension over the River Dropt that appears to go on forever and has a total of twenty-three arches.
A section of the bridge at Sauvetat-du-Dropt
The Church of Saint Eutrope in neighbouring Allemans-du-Dropt has a series of exquisite fifteenth-century frescoes. Rediscovered in 1935 and now restored, they contain scenes from the Bible, including the Last Judgement.
The fresco cycle in the Church of Saint Eutrope, Allemans-du-Dropt